Shrimp and sausage gumbo
Rabu, Maret 13, 2019 Tambah Komentar
This shrimp and sausage gumbo is an easy one-pot recipe. It tastes just like authentic New Orleans gumbo but is made using common ingredients.
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 links smoked Andouille sausage about 12 ounces, sliced
- 2 bell peppers red and orange, chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 20 baby-cut carrots chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 scallions sliced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
For the roux:
For the cajun seasoning mix:
- Assemble the cajun seasoning: Combine and mix the cajun seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make the roux: Heat canola oil in a large pot or dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) over medium heat. Add butter and flour. Cook until the roux turns into a dark caramel color, about 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cook the vegetables: Add chopped bell peppers, onions, and carrots to the pot with the roux. Stir until well mixed with the roux. Cook until the vegetables soften and become fragrant, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer with liquids and spices: Add crushed tomatoes (including the liquid), chicken broth, scallions, and cajun seasoning mix to the same pot. Bring to a boil and then decrease heat to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Add shrimp and sausage: Uncover the pot. Add shrimp and sausage to the pot, mixing well. Let simmer until the shrimp is opaque and cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with rice.