GARLIC MASHED TURNIPS
Senin, Maret 25, 2019 Tambah Komentar
These garlic mashed turnips are a creamy and comforting side dish that’s simple to make with one pot on the stovetop; no special equipment needed. They’re also a fantastic low carb and keto replacement for regular mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 40 minutes
- Servings 4 side servings
- Calories 140 kcal
- 2 medium purple-top turnips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the turnips and cut them into roughly 2-inch chunks, about 16 chunks per turnip.
- Add the chopped turnips to a 3 quart or larger pot, and fill with water. Cover with a lid, and bring the water to a boil on the stovetop. Boil the turnips until they’re very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the turnips in a colander, emptying the pot of water. Let the turnips sit for about 5 minutes to steam out, and then transfer them back to the same pot.
- Mash the turnips (a potato masher is useful). Add all other ingredients and stir over medium-low heat until incorporated, a few minutes. If the mixture looks too thin, proceed to the next step to thicken it; otherwise, skip the next step.
- Increase to medium heat so that the mixture starts to bubble. Stir nearly constantly (to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot) for a few minutes until the mixture thickens to a consistency resembling mashed potatoes.
- Let it cool a bit, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.